Guys, i didn’t copy or paste this. i actually took the time to read and explain for you—-Things a civil union can’t have, but marriage can:
1. Civil Union is NOT recognized by all states (Marriage is recognized throughout the world).
2. Civil Union can get some of the state protection, but will not get federal benefits (Marriage gives couples the right to file joint tax returns, and also gives them certain tax protection and tax breaks because they’re recognized by the federal government).
3. Civil Union will NOT get maximum legal benefits (Marriage will).
4. A spouse is not entitled to inherit any property of the deceased spouse if they are in a Civil Union (a surviving spouse in a Marriage will have all the legal rights to the assets of the deceased spouse)
5. In the case of a medical leave, Civil Union couples are not entitled to use it (Married couples can use family medical leave)
A few days ago, I asked myself, “Why can’t gays just aim for Civil Union instead of Marriage?” So it lead me to look it up and find a website (which I’ll list). Because I tried to figure out, I found out why LGBT organizations are fighting so hard to get gay marriage legal. It’s like giving a starving person the core of an apple.
- Until next time, Ms. Reality
easiest website to explain this- http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-civil-union-and-marriage/